Every homeowner wants to make sure that their home is as clean as possible. I’ll be the first one to admit that it is easy for this necessary chore to get away from us but we still do the best that we can. Some of the rooms we can almost sweep things under the carpet (not literally) and it is a livable and perhaps even ready for company. There is one room in the home, however, where hygiene and cleanliness is absolutely necessary.
I’m talking about the bathroom and when you consider everything that goes into this smaller room in the home, it’s no surprise that it gets dirty quickly. It doesn’t matter if you’re talking about digging hair out of the drain, unclogging a toilet or simply picking up after a busy family, cleaning the bathroom seems to be a full-time job. When it comes to cleaning this room, you don’t always need to use the strongest of chemicals. In fact, there are a number of hacks available that will save you time and money without using harsh chemicals in the process.
The following 8 cleaning tips are going to really change the way you take care of the bathroom.
1. Clean the mirrors – commercial cleaners claim to leave a streak-free shine but we all know that it is not always true. Do you want to know how to shine your windows without using chemicals?
Make a non-toxic cleaner out of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Mix it together and spray it on the mirror. Wipe off the mixture using crumpled up newspaper. You can even use shaving cream to keep the mirror shiny! How cool is that?
2. Bathtub – is your bathtub looking a little grimy? Don’t dump in a lot of chemicals to do the job, try using something natural.
Make a mixture of 1/2 cup white vinegar, and 1 cup of rubbing alcohol. Dilute it with 4 quarts of warm water. Add essential oils if you want it to smell nice. Pour it in the tub and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse away the grime.
3. Toilet – nobody enjoys cleaning the toilet but it is necessary to do. You can throw away the commercial toilet cleaners. They are too expensive and contain harsh chemicals.
Mouthwash is an excellent way to clean the toilets and it does it without the fumes that can cause problems. Would you believe that Listerine used to be a floor cleaner and a cure for gonorrhea? Dilute mouthwash and water and spray it into the toilet. Wait 30 minutes and scrub away the grossness.
4. Floor tiles – it can be difficult to keep up on the floor tiles. Sometimes, a commercial scrub is not going to cut through but there is an option of using bleach and cotton balls.
Soak the cotton balls in straight bleach and set them on the floor with the grime. It keeps the tile clean and shiny. You can also use mouthwash.
Do not use bleach on latex caulk. It can cause noxious fumes.
5. Rust – do you see some rust building up in the bathroom? It is easy to remove once you know this trick. Grab a lemon and some coarse salt.
Pour the salt on the rusted spot and rub it with lemon juice. The acid in the lemon causes the salt to dissolve and absorb the stain. You can leave it sit overnight and then rinse it away of the morning.
6. Dusty ceiling – when cobwebs or dust hangs down from the ceiling in the bathroom, there is a way to take care of it.
Mix vinegar and warm water in equal parts and mop your ceiling with a regular floor mop. Be sure to protect your eyes from falling debris.
7. Shower curtains – when shower curtains get moldy or water stained, there is an easy way to clean them.
Mix 500 mL of bleach with 2 tablespoons dishwashing detergent. Spritz the mixture on the shower curtains and allow to sit for a few minutes. Give them a rinse and prepare to be amazed.
8. Vinegar – You would be amazed by how much vinegar can do in the washroom. If you don’t want to use any of the above recipes, use vinegar.
Mix vinegar in a spray bottle with warm water in a 50/50 mixture. You can use it to mop floors, clean surfaces and everything in between.