If You Have Lily Plants Around Your Home, They Can Poison Your Cats

Those of us who love cats and have feline animal companions know how much joy our pets bring to our lives. The advantages and benefits of owning pets are well documented. Equally documented are the benefits of having plants and greenery both in our homes and around our homes in our yards and gardens. However, some plants can be harmful or even deadly to our pets. One of those plants is the beautiful lily flower family. There are more than 90 different types of lilies and they’re a very popular household flower. Most of the variety of lilies are perennials, which means they bloom year after year with minimal care.

Whether it’s Easter lilies or the gorgeous trumpet lilies we have in our flower beds, they’re decorative flowers indeed. However, this particular flower can pose a serious risk to felines and can even be deadly in some cases. As it turns out, every single part of the lily is poisonous to cats, from the beautiful petals all the way down to the stems and leaves. If your cat ingests these flowers, it can lead to kidney failure and even death. Preparing for spring, it’s important to choose our plants wisely if they are going to coexist with our beloved cats. Doing a bit of homework can help you protect your animal companions.

The most dangerous lilies for cats are what is known as the “true lilies.” These include (but aren’t strictly limited to) the following flowers:

  • Tiger lilies
  • Daylilies
  • Stargazer lilies
  • Easter lilies
  • Western lilies
  • Wood lilies
  • Japanese show lilies
  • Peace lilies
  • Peruvian lilies

And you don’t even have to grow them. All of these varieties are found commonly in bouquets that people may send to you or you buy at the grocery store. If your cats nibble on the leaves or even drink water from the vases where you have your flowers displayed, they could end up in kidney failure. If your cat ingests any part of the lilies, including the water, they will show effects within 24-72 hours.

In addition to kidney failure, some of the varieties of lilies can cause mouth irritation, difficulty breathing, and vomiting. For young kittens who are smaller, a single lick of a plant is enough to cause complete fatal kidney failure.

If you suspect that your cat has been exposed to lily poisoning, watch for these symptoms:

  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Excessive or decreased urination
  • Excessive or decreased thirst
  • Pain in the abdomen
  • Lethargy

If you think your cat has been exposed to lilies, get them to a veterinarian immediately. You can also call the Pet Poison Hotline at 855-213-6680. In short, the quicker you get them to the vet, the better. Be sure to be vocal about what’s going on so that you don’t end up waiting for too long in the waiting room at the vet’s office.

Image: Pixabay